Telecom Egypt to link undersea cable to Jordan
Cairo, May 23, 2010
Telecom Egypt, the country's fixed-line monopoly, said on Sunday it plans to expand the services it offers in Jordan and connect the country to its TE North undersea cable, which runs from Egypt to France.
The firm has upgraded its limited licence in Jordan to one which will allow it to extend the cable into Jordan, chief commercial officer Emad Elazhary was quoted as saying in the newspaper al-Borsa.
An executive at Telecom Egypt confirmed the news to Reuters.
The mostly state-owned firm currently operates a branch of its TE Data internet service provider in Jordan.
It has said it expects to begin operating its TE North cable by mid-year, the main part of a cable business it sees adding revenue of EGP700-800 million ($124-142 million) in 2010.
The cable travels from a site west of the Egyptian port city Alexandria to Marseilles in France and connects with a line from the Red Sea to the Mediterranean.
Telecom Egypt spent some $150 million on the cable.-Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services