Zain, Bharti to close Africa deal today
Kuwait City, June 8, 2010
Kuwait's Zain and India's Bharti Airtel are expected to close a $9 billion deal for most of the Kuwaiti firm's African assets on Tuesday, sources said.
Zain will receive $7.9 billion from Bharti on Tuesday before both firms make an announcement about the final closing, sources close to the deal told Reuters.
Bharti has called for a press conference in New Delhi on Tuesday at 0900 GMT, but did not provide more details. Sunil Mittal, the firm's chairman, will attend the press conference.
In March, Zain struck a $9 billion deal selling its operations in 15 African countries, excluding Sudan and Morocco, to Bharti.
Kuwaiti daily Al-Rai said in a report earlier on Tuesday, citing informed sources, that $400 million will be deposited into the Kuwaiti firm's accounts after completing some procedures related to the transfer of Zain's license in Gabon to Bharti.
In April, Zain said that the Gabon government has approved the sale of Zain Gabon to Bharti.
The remaining $700 million will be received by Zain a year after the closing, according to the agreement. -Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network