Blue Coat unveils new software plug-in
Dubai, July 6, 2010
Blue Coat Systems, a technology leader in application delivery networking, has released a new software plug-in.
The plug-in adds Apple software updates, including updates for Apple iTunes, Safari operating system and iPhone, to the applications that Blue Coat PacketShaper appliances can discover, monitor, assess and control.
With the ability to identify approximately 700 applications, PacketShaper appliances enable enterprises to gain comprehensive understanding and control of how applications use bandwidth at their Internet gateway points or across the Wide Area Network (WAN) to branch offices.
Apple software updates can often be large, ranging up to 100 Megabytes in size. Although employees may have installed iTunes on their company laptop computers for use in their leisure time, periodic Apple software updates may download while attached to the corporate network and consume all or a large portion of the available bandwidth.
PacketShaper appliances can now identify these specific software updates and limit the amount of bandwidth allocated to them or enforce rules over what can be downloaded, at what time of day and with what priority. The new Apple software update classification complements an existing capability to discover, monitor and control music, videos and other content downloaded from the iTunes store.
“Companies need to manage and protect the bandwidth they have at Internet gateway points and across the WAN to ensure that critical business processes are not impaired or interrupted,” said Nigel Hawthorn, VP Emea Marketing.
“The new ability to classify Apple software updates enhances the granular application visibility and comprehensive control that PacketShaper appliances provide, enabling businesses to align network use with business requirements.”-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- EIAST signs Dubai Sat-2 deal
- Etisalat unveils cloud solution for businesses
- 'Smart' innovations for cities to be showcased
- TRA Bahrain launches new website
- Omantel share sale subscribed 1.99 times
- Virgin Mobile to launch Saudi service by June
- Cisco launches new platform for telecom operators
- Bit9 appoints new regional director
- Menatelecom launches new 4G offer
- Batelco unveils new business broadband package
- Mobily seals Bharti Airtel partnership deal
- VIVA launches exclusive rewards program
- US govt to shed control of net addresses
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya