GO registers Arabic domain names
Riyadh, October 12, 2010
Etihad Atheeb Telecom GO, the first Cloud Telecom in the Region, has registered and assigned an Arabic domain name for the company website, for the first time in Saudi Arabia’s Internet history.
Arabic speaking internet users can visit the site directly using their native language by typing the domain name in Arabic into their web browser without the need to use English characters or search engines.
“The registration of Arabic domain names is the first practical step towards ending the monopoly of English domain names, and a crowning achievement to the efforts of Arab countries claiming the right of users to access the Internet in their native language,” said Raed Kayal, acting chief executive of Etihad Atheeb Telecom GO.
“As a Saudi operator, we believe in the importance of preserving the Arabic language and our Arabic identity, thus, GO has registered two domain names to facilitate access to our website and enable users to take advantage of our various services in Arabic Language, which contributes to supporting the spread of Arab culture and content over the internet, and most importantly, remove all obstacles and the language barriers facing Arab user,” he added.
“I would like to extend my gratitude to our colleagues at The Saudi Network Information Center for all their efforts and support in this field,” Kayal concluded.
The Internet Cooperation for Assigned Names and Numbers ICANN has selected Saudi Arabia as the first country to use country code specific top level domains, in addition to 2 other countries. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit