Inmarsat launches global handheld
Dubai, October 18, 2010
Inmarsat, the leading provider of global mobile satellite communications, has launched the IsatPhone Pro in the Middle East at GulfComms 2010, a major ICT event in Dubai.
The new service is Inmarsat’s first global handheld, and is fully supported by Inmarsat’s existing satellite network. The global handset is now available at a suggested and an estimated retail price of $699, with promotional prices expected to be around $500-600, a statement said.
“IsatPhone Pro provides the ultimate combination of a robust handset that’s easy to use, with long battery life, a reliable network connection with clear voice quality, and global coverage,” said Perry Melton, chief operating officer, Inmarsat.
“The IsatPhone Pro is tailor made for rugged use and ideal for customers using the global handset device in the most remote parts on land, as well as at sea,” he added.
IsatPhone Pro is primarily designed for professional users in the government, media, aid, oil and gas, mining and construction sectors. However, the highly competitive handset, accessories and airtime pricing is expected to broaden its appeal to a wider range of users.
IsatPhone Pro offers high-quality satellite telephony, text and email messaging. Location data can also be viewed and sent in a text message.
IsatPhone Pro’s battery offers up to 8 hours talk time and up to 100 hours standby time. The handset is capable of operating from -20 degrees C to +55 degrees C, which is the widest temperature range of any satellite phone.
The unique design of IsatPhone Pro, including a fully-manoeuvrable antenna, allows the handset to be placed on its side for easy hands-free use via Bluetooth. IsatPhone Pro has an intuitive GSM-style interface with a high-visibility colour screen, and a larger keypad for easy dialling in gloves.
Each IsatPhone Pro handset comes with a battery, mains charger and 4 universal adaptors, car charger, micro USB cable for charging from a PC, a wired headset for hands-free use, wrist strap, quick start guide in 8 languages, warranty and a support CD. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services