Over 60 Batelco trainees sacked
Manama, April 6, 2011
More than 60 Batelco trainees have had their contracts terminated for taking part in a nationwide strike, it has been announced.
The group, which had been part of a Tamkeen work placement scheme, had responded to a call by the General Federation of Bahrain Trade Unions (GFBTU).
Batelco would not comment on how many trainees were affected, but sources told our sister newspaper Gulf Daily News (GDN) about 60 were found to have been absent from work and had their contracts terminated 'ahead of time'.
'We have terminated a contract with the Tamkeen scheme as staff in work placements were found to be in breach of employment policies,' said a company spokesman. 'The dismissals are in accordance with Bahrain's labour laws.'
On Sunday, Batelco announced the sacking of 85 workers for breaching their contracts by allegedly taking part in the nationwide strike. The dismissals were made after an internal investigation.
A Tamkeen official said more details on the number of its trainees at Batelco would be made available today.
Meanwhile, the Bahrain Journalists Association yesterday declined to comment on rumours that Arabic newspapers were sacking journalists.
The GFBTU first announced a nationwide strike on February 20, but called it off after the military withdrew from the GCC Roundabout.
It then announced an indefinite strike on March 13 in solidarity with anti-government protesters who were evicted from near the Bahrain Financial Harbour. That was called off on March 22.
An investigation committee formed by Bapco to probe the absence of employees during recent events held its first session yesterday, said a statement.
The panel decided to sack nine members from the governing body of its trade union for their role in instigation and participation in the general strike.
It acquitted two members and decided to continue investigation with two others.
The committee is also conducting an investigation against employees, who were absent from work during recent events.
Around 230 employees will be subject to investigation as the first group.
Bapco said it adopted all legal measures of notifying all employees who were absent from work from February 20 to March 23 regardless of the number of absence days.
Earlier, it also dismissed company union chairman Abdulghaffar Abdulhussain.
An Alba source said the number of its workers dismissed had now reached 150. More than 100 employees have also been sacked from APM Terminals, 50 from Bahrain Airport Services, and 17 from Gulf Air.
Three Gulf Air workers have also been suspended, pending further investigation.
Bahrain University has also taken action against staff and students allegedly involved in violence at its Sakhir campus on March 13. Sources said several faculty members had been dismissed and final warnings issued to others for having been part of disruptive events.-TradeArabia News Service