Orascom Telecom appoints new CEO
Cairo, May 16, 2011
Egyptian mobile operator Orascom Telecom appointed the former head of its Bangladeshi business Ahmed Abou Doma as chief executive, the company said on Monday.
Abou Doma, who replaces Khaled Bichara, had also worked as the head of marketing at Orascom's Egyptian mobile venture Mobinil, the firm said in a statement.
It did not give a reason for the change.
Banglalink, Orascom's third-biggest unit by revenue, brought in about $457 million last year, up from about $351 million in 2009. The subsidiary has over 19 million mobile subscribers.
Bichara was appointed CEO in November 2009, replacing billionaire telecoms tycoon Naguib Sawiris, who took the position of executive chairman.
Russia's third-largest mobile operator Vimpelcom last month closed a deal worth more than $6 billion for Sawiris' investment vehicle Wind Telecom, including majority stakes in Orascom and Italy's Wind.
Orascom Telecom fully or partly owns operators in Algeria, Pakistan, North Korea and a variety of sub-Saharan African countries as well as Mobinil, which it runs jointly with France Telecom. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m