Qtel hits Internet trial speeds of 100 Mbps
Doha, May 18, 2011
Qatar Telecom (Qtel), the leading telecom service provider in Qatar, has become the first company in the country to reach Internet trial speeds of up to 100 Mbps.
From today (May 18), Qtel is enabling customers within the company’s trial fibre footprint to receive home Internet broadband at speeds of up to 100 Mbps.
As Qtel’s next generation fibre network continues to extend, the company will offer this service to customers throughout Doha and other urban areas, a statement said.
The deployment of Qtel’s next generation fibre network throughout Qatar is advancing rapidly, with fibre deployment occurring zone-by-zone and commercial launch set to start in the second half of this year, it added.
Qtel has confirmed its intention to launch Internet packages with speeds of up to 100 Mbps. Pricing and availability will be announced at the commercial launch later in 2011.
This new technological milestone will propel Qatar into the “Top Ten” countries with the fastest Internet in the world, according to the statement. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- UAE’s ICT sector to grow 22.3pc in 2013
- Etisalat offers higher price for Maroc stake
- Orascom set to be delisted from exchanges
- HTC Desire 600 launched
- Huawei's Mideast revenue up 18pc in 2012
- Yokogawa-Petrobras in wireless deal
- 90pc of passwords ‘vulnerable to hacking’
- Etisalat supports mGovernment initiative
- Du lauches prepaid data bundles
- RTS Realtime opens data center in Dubai