CIO website wins Arab eContent Award
Manama, May 22, 2011
Bahrain's Central Informatics Organisation (CIO) has won the Arab eContent Award for developing a geographic information system known as the Bahrain locator.
The award is part of the United Nations World Summit Award and its main objective is to promote and encourage creativity and collaboration between countries in the region to reach an international level.
Deputy Premier Shaikh Mohammed bin Mubarak Al Khalifa presented the award to CIO president Dr Mohammed Ahmed Al Amer during a special ceremony at Gulf Hotel.
Dr Al Amer said the achievement was the result of support from the senior leadership of the country and investment in Bahraini human resources.
He said the international award proves that the government's strategic plans are going in the right direction and will contribute to supporting services and reducing the cost of the establishment of geographic information.
Bahrain Locator (www.bahrainlocator.gov.bh) specialises in positioning the country through advanced technology and adding new information such as satellite images.
The site is easy to use through the provision of updated search tools.
It is the world's best in terms of design, technology and the volume of information provided which is estimated at more than half a million, said officials.
Bahrain Locator is for visitors, tourists and anyone who wants access to information, maps and websites, they added.
The Health Ministry also won two awards for its website.
The website, www.moh.gov.bh, was named winner in eHealth category, while Bahrain eGovernment Excellence Award was given in the eContent category.
The award-winning site provides services such as request for birth certificate and registration of Hajj medical agencies.
It also provides vaccination records of children, students and the ministry's health workers.
In addition, users can check details of appointments booked at Salmaniya Medical Complex (SMC).
The site is designed and developed by the health information directorate. The ministry plans to launch more eServices in the coming months.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- LTE leaders to tackle regional challenges in Dubai
- Batelco 'SMS Challenge' back with big cash prizes
- 7 win Etisalat million reward points
- Redington to distribute Oracle solutions in Mideast
- Etisalat's Egypt unit eyes stock listing
- Schneider enhances PowerChute with virtualization support
- Batelco shines at Dubai telecom show
- Zain warns over service disruptions
- EIAST signs Dubai Sat-2 deal
- Etisalat unveils cloud solution for businesses
- 'Smart' innovations for cities to be showcased
- TRA Bahrain launches new website
- Omantel share sale subscribed 1.99 times
- Virgin Mobile to launch Saudi service by June
- Cisco launches new platform for telecom operators
- Bit9 appoints new regional director
- Menatelecom launches new 4G offer
- Batelco unveils new business broadband package
- Mobily seals Bharti Airtel partnership deal
- VIVA launches exclusive rewards program
- US govt to shed control of net addresses
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council