Landline number portability in Bahrain
Manama, October 11, 2011
Fixed line telephone users in Bahrain are now able to change their operators as part of the Telecom Regulatory Authority (TRA) number portability scheme, said the director general of the kingdom’s telecom watchdog.
Mohamed Hamad Bubashait said it followed users of mobile phones being allowed to change their operators while retaining their numbers last July.
"The launch of fixed number portability service besides the introduction of mobile number portability demonstrates the development of the telecommunications market in Bahrain and enhances strategic plans to empower the consumer and minimise barriers for fair competition," he said.
TRA information communication technology director and number portability project manager Ahmed Jaber Aldoseri said number portability was considered a consumer right.
"We have worked for a number of years to ensure consumers have access to world-class services," he said.
Those wishing to apply for the service should contact or visit the new service provider they wish to transfer their number to.
"The new service provider will activate the service accordingly, which should take no more than six working days to be completed," added Aldoseri. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Bahrain’s mobile firms asked to improve service
- Golden Systems wins ‘Best Contribution’ award
- Microsoft announces IT contest winners
- Info2cell.com to expand medical app scope
- StorIT wins top distributor award
- Ajman free zone signs deal with Arabisk Network
- Zain eyes IT acquisitions to boost data services
- Canon wins honours at TIPA Awards
- Viva Kuwait signs $270m loan with NBK
- Etisalat launches new roaming packages