Zain Saudi Q3 net loss narrows
Riyadh, October 12, 2011
Telecoms operator Zain Saudi on Wednesday said third-quarter net loss narrowed as call volumes increased, but the results fell significantly short of analysts' forecasts.
The operator made a net loss of 484 million riyals ($129 million) in the third quarter, compared with 544 million riyals a year earlier, the company said in a statement to the Saudi bourse.
Analysts polled by Reuters on average forecast the indebted firm would make a loss of 346 million riyals.
On Tuesday, Saad al-Barrak quit as chief executive and was replaced by a US-educated veteran from its Kuwait parent Zain, two weeks after a proposed deal to sell 25-percent stake in the Saudi operator fell through.
Third-quarter gross profit was 870 million riyals, up from 712 million riyals a year ago.
'The decrease in net loss is due to the sizable expansion in company's customer base, noticeable rise in calls volume, and the increased demand of broadband services within the company's own network,' the statement said.
The latest results means Zain Saudi's accumulated losses now stand at about 9.2 billion riyals. It must complete a capital restructuring to alleviate these losses and comply with Saudi bourse rules. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Menatelecom launches new 4G offer
- Batelco unveils new business broadband package
- Mobily seals Bharti Airtel partnership deal
- VIVA launches exclusive rewards program
- US govt to shed control of net addresses
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase