Kuwait court adjourns Zain AGM case to Nov 23
Kuwait, October 26, 2011
A Kuwaiti court on Wednesday adjourned until November 23 an appeal from Zain against a ruling that invalidated the telecom operator's annual shareholders' meeting.
Last month, a Kuwaiti court ruled Zain's April shareholders meeting void, upholding a case brought by former board member Sheikh Khalifa Ali Al-Khalifa Al-Sabah, who opposed the process to elect the board -- to which he was not re-elected.
'International banks are enquiring about the case and its effect on the company after the first degree ruling ... we request for a verdict on the appeal as soon as possible so that the company's operations do not get affected,' Zain's lawyer Hussein al-Ghareeb told the court.
Shareholders at the meeting elected a new board including a top executive from Kuwait's family conglomerate Kharafi Group, and approved a $3 billion dividend for 2010. The dividend has already been distributed.
Last year, Sheikh Khalifa filed a lawsuit to halt due diligence in a $12 billion deal to sell a 46 percent stake in Zain to the UAE's Etisalat . The deal fell apart in March after Etisalat walked away.
Etisalat, the Gulf's largest telecoms firm, cited Zain's divided board as part of the reason it had quit the deal. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services