Focus on harmonized national ICT policies
Muscat, March 26, 2012
Leading decision-makers will discuss key issues related to harmonized national ICT policies at a conference in Muscat next week.
Samena Telecommunications Council, the tri-regional telecommunications consortium will convene some of the leading CEOs and experts at its annual “Beyond Connectivity 2012” conference on April 3 and 4.
While the development and growth of the telecommunications and ICT industry has been tremendous over the years, the emergence of next generation technologies and new ICT policies has resulted in a number of discussions revolving around the need for harmonized national ICT policies in the SAMENA region. Against the backdrop of this need for policies that will help with the ICT industry’s development and progress in the region, a statement said.
Highlighting the theme ‘Harmonized Policy – An Enabler for Digital Economy Growth?’ for this year’s conference, Thomas Wilson, CEO and executive director of Samena Telecommunications Council said: “Harmonized national ICT policies are fast becoming a major issue in the Samena region, and will be a major component in its continued development and growth. A delicate balance is needed between such policies and the changing trends in the convergent world, which we hope will enable a competitive business environment among operators and service providers.”
Bocar A Ba, president of Samena Telecommunications Council, added: “We strongly believe that there is a need for a collaborative approach on numerous issues such as Spectrum Harmonization, DD (Digital Dividends), Infrastructure Sharing, Local Loop Unbundling (LLU), Public Private Partnership (PPP) and International Roaming Rates, which advocate that region-wide harmonized ICT policies and ITRs be devised and implemented to help further boost industry growth.”
The two-day event begins with a discussion on International Telecommunication Regulations (ITRs) and the need for unified ICT policies, along with how policies and regulations can be a major tool to boost broadband proliferation. Day one concludes with a discussion on how the future of the content industry compliments the demand for local content.
The highlight of the second day of the conference is the “CEO Live Session” which will provide insight into the leadership, thoughts and visions of telecoms leaders in the region, who will have the opportunity to interact and discuss with participants the future of the telecommunications industry, exploring topics related to intensifying competition and future strategies and technologies that need to be adopted, along with investments required for building next generation high-speed networks.
The conference will continue with a discussion on open access LTE (Long Term Evolution) Schemes and the future of 4G, digital dividends and its value for telecommunications. “Beyond Connectivity 2012” will conclude with the important issue of net neutrality in the region. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services