Batelco signs up with GBI cable system
Manama, June 4, 2012
Batelco, Bahrain’s leading telecommunications company, has signed an agreement with Gulf Bridge International (GBI), a privately owned fiber optic cable operator, to connect Bahrain with GBI’s new cable system.
Batelco is the landing partner in Bahrain for the new cable system as part of an agreement signed between the two major companies, said a statement.
The GBI Cable System, which utilises the latest fiber optic cable technology, connects all the countries of the Gulf region via a core ring and provides onward connectivity to Europe and Asia. With a design capacity of up to 10 terabits per second, the GBI Cable System has the capability to meet the rapid growth in demand for traffic originating and terminating in the Arabian Gulf, it said.
The launch of the GBI Cable System ensures telecom operators and other communications companies, both in the region and globally, benefit from greater choice, value, diversity and resilience, it added.
Batelco Bahrain chief executive officer Rashid Abdulla said Batelco was entering into the multi-million dollar deal to provide Bahrain with better connectivity to the rest of the world and to ensure that sufficient capacity is available to cater to the future growth in data connectivity.
“The international capacity will provide world-class connectivity for residents of Bahrain, in addition to ensuring continuity of service and quality,” he said.
Ahmed Mekky, board member and chief executive officer of GBI who signed the agreement on behalf of GBI, stated that the agreement will not only benefit Bahrain but all the countries in the region. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services