Etisalat revamps board, names new chairman
Abu Dhabi, July 3, 2012
Etisalat, the UAE's leading telecoms operator, overhauled its board on Tuesday, replacing long-serving chairman Mohammad Omran and naming six new directors following a decree by the Abu Dhabi ruler.
The changes come as Etisalat, which operates in 17 countries, tries to fend off stiffening competition from domestic rival du and improve the performance of its foreign operations, with the firm reporting declining profits in eight of the past nine quarters.
Eissa al-Suwaidi, who holds key positions in other Abu Dhabi entities, has been appointed chairman, replacing Mohammad Omran, who was also Etisalat's former chief executive.
Suwaidi is also the chairman of Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank as well as a director of government-controlled institutions in the emirate such as International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC). Omran joined Etisalat in 1977 and was appointed chairman in 2005.
The decreee from UAE president Sheikh Khalifa al-Nahyan also appointed six new board members, including Essa Kazim, the chairman of Dubai Financial Market.
Etisalat, the Gulf's No.2 operator, is 60-per cent owned by the federal government and these appointees will be the government's representatives on Etisalat's board. Shares in Etisalat dropped 0.4 per cent on the Abu Dhabi bourse today.-Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit