Batelco chief urges telecom market review
Manama, October 25, 2012
Telecommunication authorities in Bahrain should conduct a review of the industry to create more competition in the sector, said a top official of Kingdom's leading telecom services operator Batelco.
Bahrain remained a small market and that to move forward and encourage investment in the latest technologies for customers, it was important authorities re-examined the market which they had not done since 2008, remarked Batelco Bahrain chief executive Rashid Abdulla following the announcement of the company's third quarter results.
He said that Batelco had spoken to the Telecommunication Regulatory Authority about carrying out a market survey as the kingdom looked to the fourth generation of technology.
Group chief executive Shaikh Mohamed bin Isa Al Khalifa said the company continued to look at opportunities in international markets where taking a stake in existing businesses was important.
He emphasised that the company was still interested in the Indian market but not in greenfield projects but in partnerships where their expertise could benefit a market that had great growth potential.
"Across the group, our focus has been on enhancing competitiveness in our home market, Bahrain, and at our subsidiary companies," he said.
"This has meant both ensuring we remained as innovative as possible in our approach to serving our customers as well as in the manner in which we manage our operations," he said.
Batelco announced a profit of $114 million for the first nine months of the year in a period which was marked by strong competitive conditions in Bahrain and progress in overseas Mena markets.
That compared with a profit of $151 million for the corresponding period in 2011.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- EIAST signs Dubai Sat-2 deal
- Etisalat unveils cloud solution for businesses
- 'Smart' innovations for cities to be showcased
- TRA Bahrain launches new website
- Omantel share sale subscribed 1.99 times
- Virgin Mobile to launch Saudi service by June
- Cisco launches new platform for telecom operators
- Bit9 appoints new regional director
- Menatelecom launches new 4G offer
- Batelco unveils new business broadband package
- Mobily seals Bharti Airtel partnership deal
- VIVA launches exclusive rewards program
- US govt to shed control of net addresses
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya