Qtel, MoneyGram launch money transfer service
Doha, November 6, 2012
Qatar Telecom (Qtel) and MoneyGram announced a new partnership to make MoneyGram money transfer available through Qtel Mobile Money, a leading service which enables transfer of funds using a mobile phone.
Under the new partnership, customers are able to send money to 284,000 local agents in 196 countries in Europe, the Americas and Asia including India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and the Philippines.
The deal is the first in the world of its kind, and represents another incredible improvement in the customer experience delivered by Qtel Mobile Money, which is the fastest-growing financial transfer service in Qatar, a statement said.
Qtel Mobile Money customers can transfer money to whoever they want to, whenever and wherever they need to, it added.
Transfer of the money is almost instantaneous and recipients can collect the cash from the MoneyGram local agents.
With the MoneyGram partnership, Qtel becomes the first operator in the world to offer MoneyGram money transfer.
Mobile Money customers do not need to have a bank account to use the service, so thousands of so-called “under-banked” customers in Qatar now have a secure, effective service to send money home without worry.
Waleed Al Sayed, chief operating officer, Qtel Qatar, said: “This partnership is a critically-important step that reinforces and demonstrates Qtel’s commitment to service and innovation. “
“With a growing number of foreign workers working on critical projects in Qatar, there is an increasing need for people to be able to transfer money safely and conveniently back home at any time and from anywhere. The service provides security, convenience and global reach, and extends these benefits to people who do not have a bank account.”
"Customers want flexible, convenient and reliable ways to send money,” said Juan Agualimpia, EVP and chief marketing officer, MoneyGram.
“Adding MoneyGram International money transfers to Qtel’s mobile money service gives customers the option to transfer to any MoneyGram location worldwide.” – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services