GBI wins Europe’s major technology award
Doha, November 27, 2012
Gulf Bridge International (GBI), a leading fiber optic technologies company, has been recognized in this year’s Capacity Europe Awards as the world’s best Niche/New Player.
The awards which were hosted in Amsterdam, Netherlands, recognise leading telecommunications companies from across the globe.
“By winning this prestigious industry award, the CEO and the team at GBI have shown that they have delivered on their commitment, to our investors, to build a state of the art network in the Gulf region and beyond,” said GBI Chairman Rashid Al Naimi.
“This award pays tribute to GBI’s efforts in 2012 to extend its network, which go above and beyond its original vision to build a cable connecting all the Gulf nations,” said Alex Hawkes, editor of Capacity Magazine.
“The judging panel was highly impressed with the company’s efforts to offer an activated 100G line interface on parts of its subsea cable network, as well as its plans to extend to Africa. I would like to congratulate GBI for winning the Capacity award for best niche/new player.”
“We are truly humbled to receive this recognition, culminating four years of work bringing the Middle East’s highest capacity fiber optic network to life,” said Ahmed Mekky, board member and CEO of GBI.
“Communication is a powerful tool underpinning intellectual and economic growth. Beyond our work, this level of recognition reflects the true significance of enhanced connectivity to a region containing one sixth of the world’s population.”
Activated in February, GBI offers additional much-needed capacity on the first Gulf network ever built in a ring configuration, with routing onwards to Europe, Africa and Asia.
As the region’s first carrier-neutral operator, this secure capacity is available to any operator or ISP, enabling new operators to more easily break into the market, and existing operators to diversify their routing. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services