Thuraya to offer mobile satellite services in Japan
Dubai, December 17, 2012
Thuraya Telecom, a top mobile satellite services operator and Softbank Mobile, a telecom leader in Japan have signed an agreement to bring mobile satellite communication services for Japanese subscribers across Thuraya’s satellite network.
SoftBank Mobile has applied and successfully received approval from the Japanese regulator to provide Thuraya’s satellite network services in Japan.
Commencing as from February 2013, the Thuraya’s handsets and airtime services will be sold to customers from Softbank Mobile’s distribution channels.
As part of the agreement, the two companies will collaborate together to design a new version of Thuraya’s handset with special features. This new edition of the Thuraya handset will be available exclusively for sale from SoftBank Mobile.
Thuraya’s services are available to SoftBank users venturing outside of terrestrial networks, or in areas where those networks are either unavailable or are vulnerable to natural disasters.
Media, energy, government, and all other types of enterprises, as well as individual consumers will be able to avail themselves of Thuraya’s services and a multitude of solutions to enable them to communicate from anywhere in Japan and the maritime areas surrounding it, and at any time, a statement said. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Mobily partners with PCCW Global
- Ministry in new major green IT campaign
- Thuraya forms new innovation department
- Mobily denies asking help for spying
- UAE firm patents new mobile technology
- Mobily picks Ericsson smart services router
- Orascom Telecom suffers $204m loss in Q1
- Orascom Telecom rejects Altimo buyout offer
- Windows 8 update coming this year
- Virgin among bidders for Saudi telecom licence