Abu Dhabi ICT plan sees big advances in 2012
Abu Dhabi, January 3, 2013
The Abu Dhabi Systems and Information Centre (Adsic), the government body charged with the emirate’s ICT agenda, noted several achievements, capacity building initiatives, partnerships and special events in 2012.
One of the biggest developments for Abu Dhabi’s ICT sector was the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement between Esri, the leading worldwide provider of geographic information system (GIS) software and geodatabase management applications, and Adsic in December.
The MoU, which stipulates the collaborative harnessing of geographic and information systems (GIS) capabilities for enabling society, marks the first time that Esri has ever entered into a government-wide agreement.
Another major milestone was the awarding of the Outstanding e-Government Prize in the Open City category to Adsic’s Abu Dhabi Spatial Data Infrastructure (AD-SDI) program during the 1st World e-Governments Organization of Cities and Local Governments (WeGO) Awards held in Spain late this year.
Workshops, training & capacity building
Several capacity-building activities have helped enhanced Abu Dhabi’s ICT statue over the past months. In March, for example, Adsic organized a technical workshop entitled ‘Using Satellite Imagery in Geospatial Data Systems’ which was well-attended by representatives of AD-SDI member entities and industry experts.
Another workshop conducted in June gathered around 150 representatives from 45 government entities to learn about the implementation and enforcement of the Abu Dhabi Executive Council’s circular No. 4 of 2012 making the Emirates National ID cards compulsory for individual transactions at all government agencies.
A month later, the AD-SDI group shared knowledge and expertise in spatial data and GIS to educate the Fujairah Statistics Center on how to effectively integrate spatial data into statistical computation and decision making.
Another knowledge sharing event was conducted by Adsic in October in cooperation with the Family Development Foundation and with the supported of the ICDL GCC Foundation. An Open Day was held to prepare women participating in the e-Citizen Program, an initiative that provides basic training in online interaction, practical computer skills, and use of electronic government services.
E-Citizen aims to enhance digital literacy among women and support their active participation in the social and economic growth of the Central, Eastern and Western Regions of Abu Dhabi.
Adsic’s key ICT-empowering platforms were highly visible throughout 2012; particularly the Centre’s pioneering online employment initiative, Jobs Abu Dhabi (jobs.abudhabi.ae). The third edition of Jobs Abu Dhabi’s highly anticipated annual ‘Virtual Career Fair’ held in June allowed employers and recruiters to interact with candidates through chat, voice or video conferencing from the convenience of the internet.
Continuing its emphasis on collaborative growth, Adsic was involved in several partnership initiatives geared towards sharing knowledge and expertise and expanding ICT capabilities. In June, DSIC organized a UAE-Korean Knowledge Sharing Seminar to reaffirm bilateral commitments to ICT cooperation. The l seminar follows up on a Memorandum of Understanding previously signed by the heads of the Korea Development Institute and Adsic.
During the same month, the Centre received a delegation from Pennsylvania State University (Penn State) at its headquarters for a one-day knowledge sharing seminar on the Centre’s national mapping strategy, the practices of AD-SDI Community Members and water resources conservation.
To further reinforce national geospatial expertise, Adsic also signed a Cooperative Agreement on Spatial Data Infrastructures with the Fujairah Statistics Centre in October. The agreement covers collaboration and knowledge sharing on Spatial Data Infrastructures, GIS, and related projects and programs.
Taking Abu Dhabi’s ICT activism further to the mobility field, Adsic inked an Agreement of Cooperation with the World Summit Award (WSA) to host the world’s best producers, developers and designers for mobile content at the UN World Summit Award -Mobile Content in February 2013.
Adsic and the Abu Dhabi Government were actively involved in various local, regional and international ICT events this year. In August, an Abu Dhabi contingent participated in the 2012 ESRI International User Conference in San Diego, California – one of the world’s top GIS events.
In September, Adsic acted as the Host Partner to the prestigious 2012 GCC e-Participation & e-Governance Forum which gathered top governmental bodies and departments responsible for driving e-Government development across the region.
For October, Abu Dhabi drew global approval for its digital transformation at the 2012 edition of GITEX, the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia (MEASA) Region’s premier ICT business event. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- US govt to shed control of net addresses
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch