2Connect sues Bahrain’s TRA over 4G
Manama, April 11, 2013
A second telecom company has launched an audacious bid to be included in an auction to offer 4G mobile phone services in Bahrain, a report said.
2Connect has filed a case against Bahrain's telecom watchdog for allegedly being barred from the process, according to the report in our sister publication, the Gulf Daily News.
It accused the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) of acting without justification during a hearing at the Urgent Matters Court yesterday.
"2Connect has filed a case against the decision taken by the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority to not include it amongst the three telecommunication services, Batelco, VIVA and Zain in the auction of fourth generation mobile telephone frequencies," said court documents.
The court is expected to issue a verdict on Monday.
Menatelecom also filed a case against the TRA last month claiming it had been barred from participating in the 4G auction.
It earlier won a court injunction overturning its exclusion from the auction.
But the TRA launched an appeal against the decision at the High Civil Appeals Court.
The watchdog announced last Wednesday it had halted the sale of radio spectrum for next-generation networks as a result of the Menatelecom case.
The Cabinet in February approved plans to introduce 4G technology as part of efforts to upgrade Bahrain's broadband infrastructure. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre