Viva Kuwait signs $270m loan with NBK
Kuwait, June 18, 2013
Viva Kuwait, an affiliate of Saudi Telecom Co (STC), has signed a $270 million, five-year loan with National Bank of Kuwait (NBK) to finance the operator's network expansion, it said in a statement on Tuesday.
This borrowing includes a $70 million murabaha facility - a cost-plus-profit arrangement in Islamic finance - from NBK subsidiary Boubyan Bank. The tenor of the financing is five years.
Salman Al Badran, Viva chief executive officer, said: “This strategic partnership will help Viva to further expand and develop its operations by allowing additional investment in its network, services and people and most importantly, diversify the funding sources for its operations and expansions, while preserving its financial strength.”
Adel Al-Majed, Boubyan Bank vice chairman and chief executive officer, said: “Signing a financing agreement of this value reflects the ability and commitment of Kuwaiti banks to shoulder their responsibilities in financing the projects of leading companies which have clear strategy and strong operational activity.
“The current stage requires cooperation among local banks in order to support the expansion plans of companies in view of the government’s plans to stir development in Kuwait.”
Al-Majed added that this agreement comes along with the developments and the growth that Boubyan has achieved, whether on the level of products or services provided to retail or corporate customers, noting that the Bank’s 2010-2014 strategy aims at supporting and financing small and medium-size companies with high creditworthiness and ambitious plans.
Viva, which competes with Zain and Ooredoo (Qatar Telecom) subsidiary Wataniya, has built a 27 percent market share since launching services in 2008, according to Zain's first-quarter earnings statement.
STC owns 26 percent of Viva Kuwait. The affiliate has yet to list on the Kuwait bourse nearly five years after completing an initial public offer of shares. – Reuters & TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Batelco unveils new business broadband package
- Mobily seals Bharti Airtel partnership deal
- VIVA launches exclusive rewards program
- US govt to shed control of net addresses
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion