Zain Saudi extends $2.3bn loan by five years
Dubai, July 29, 2013
Loss-making telecom operator Zain Saudi has reached an agreement to extend the outstanding $2.3 billion on an Islamic loan facility by five years, the company said in a bourse statement on Monday.
Zain Saudi, 37-percent owned by Kuwait's Zain, said it has converted the $2.4 billion Islamic loan to an amortizing facility and has repaid a portion of it from internal resources.
The outstanding $2.3 billion has been extended for five years, with 25 percent of the loan due in the last two years of the extended period and the remaining 75 percent on maturity at July 31, 2018.
The murabaha facility - a sharia-compliant cost-plus-profit arrangement - was originally due in 2011, but has been put back multiple times.
Zain Saudi, which has yet to make a quarterly net profit since launching services in 2008, earlier in June received government approval to defer payment of licence-related fees that could total around $1.49 billion over seven years.
The new credit facility sees profit margin decreased by 18 percent with the possibility of further reduction going forward, Zain Saudi said in a bourse statement on Monday.
Al Rajhi Bank, Arab National Bank, Banque Saudi Fransi and Credit Agricole were bookrunners for the facility, Zain Saudi said. – Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- EIAST signs Dubai Sat-2 deal
- Etisalat unveils cloud solution for businesses
- 'Smart' innovations for cities to be showcased
- TRA Bahrain launches new website
- Omantel share sale subscribed 1.99 times
- Virgin Mobile to launch Saudi service by June
- Cisco launches new platform for telecom operators
- Bit9 appoints new regional director
- Menatelecom launches new 4G offer
- Batelco unveils new business broadband package
- Mobily seals Bharti Airtel partnership deal
- VIVA launches exclusive rewards program
- US govt to shed control of net addresses
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya