PCCW, Tata ink strategic IPX deal
Hong Kong /Mumbai, September 12, 2013
PCCW Global, an operating division of HKT, Hong Kong’s top telecom service provider, and Tata Communications, a leading communications solutions provider, have signed an agreement to interconnect their IPX (IP-Exchange) communities.
This will enable IP communications services such as HD voice and HD video in various global markets. As 4G adoption continues to gather pace, this agreement further expands the global community of interconnected mobile network operators (MNOs) who will be able to capitalize on the latest technology innovations in mobile broadband.
With the deployment of 4G and upgrades of 3G networks, next generation mobile IP communications services such as HD Voice are gaining traction.
A recent GSA report noted that the number of mobile operators now providing HD voice service is up 84 per cent in comparison to last year, with 83 mobile networks having launched HD Voice in 61 countries.
By tapping into the worldwide networks of Tata Communications and PCCW Global, MNOs in emerging markets will be able to expand their IPX reach and Quality of Service (QoS) while delivering a seamless experience for mobile users of all IP-based communications services.
Christian Michaud, senior vice president of Product and Business Strategy, Global Voice Solutions, Tata Communications, said: “As we see more mobile operators introducing next generation IP-based communication services, global IP interconnectivity between networks is vital to delivering the highest quality end-to-end service experience.
“Through our latest IPX peering agreement with PCCW Global, we continue to expand our global community of interconnected mobile operators across Asia and Africa, providing the broadest global reach across emerging markets.”
The interconnection between Tata Communications and PCCW Global is based on Tata Communications’ IPX+ connectivity platform.
Underpinning this platform is Tata Communications’ global MPLS network, supported by its wholly-owned fiber optic subsea cable ring around the world, which brings the reach and reliability needed to interconnect mobile service communities globally.
The company is a Tier 1, top five IP carrier with a reach to 74 IPX On-Net PoPs across 40 countries, ensuring maximum reach for the global community of interconnected MNOs.
Ronnie Klingner, president of Voice Solutions, PCCW Global, said, “We have been one of the pioneers of next generation IP-based networks, which enable us to deliver improved voice quality and greater cost efficiencies to our customers via Voice over IPX (VoIPX). The collaboration with Tata Communications further extends the coverage of our existing 40 direct VoIPX mobile networks.”
PCCW Global provides IPX and VoIPX to over 130 countries, making PCCW Global one of the largest IPX providers with the most local access connections worldwide.
Tata Communications’ IPX+ connectivity platform supports multiple services across networks using integrated access to multiple data transport options over a converged IP network. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services