Rakeen made custodian of $800m La Hoya Bay
Ras Al Khaimah, September 2, 2009
Rakeen, a leading property developer, has been appointed judicial custodian of the $800 million La Hoya Bay project following a recent ruling by the Ras Al Khaimah Court, a statement said.
La Hoya Bay was the main project of Khoie Properties, which had become insolvent, defaulted on land payments and failed to deliver on its promise to buyers of units in the project in Ras Al Khaimah, the statement said.
This prompted the Ras Al Khaimah Investment Authority (Rakia), the government body responsible for the socio-economic growth of the emirate, to appeal to the court requesting that Khoie Properties be brought under judicial custodianship until the completion of La Hoya Bay by a competent real estate developer to ensure that the rights of investors are protected, it said.
Rakeen, which is the development arm of Rakia, will now take over as the judicial custodian of Khoie Properties until the completion of La Hoya Bay, a $800 million waterfront residential and leisure complex on Ras Al Khaimah's Al Marjan Island, to the relief of some 800 investors.
The investors, including around 400 from the UK, had already made a 30 per cent initial payment to Khoie Properties, which failed to keep its promise. Rakeen stated that it will protect the rights of the investors, which means that those who have made the 30 per cent down payment will only be required to pay the remaining 70 per cent. Furthermore, 50 per cent of the balance will be paid in five instalments of 10 per cent each, with 20 per cent to be paid upon handover, the statement said.
'The RAK Court's decision to appoint Rakeen as custodian of Khoie Properties is a significant step that promotes and protects the welfare of investors and property buyers in Ras Al Khaimah,' Dr Khater Massaad, chief of Rakia.
'Rakeen has opened an escrow account as part of measures to promote transparency, and we are committed to complete the La Hoya Bay project and deliver it to the buyers,' added Wahid Attalla, executive director, Rakeen.
La Hoya Bay Residence comprises seven residential towers and over 1,400 residential apartments along with three swimming pools, tennis courts, restaurants and shopping facilities nestled between white sandy beaches and lush green landscapes. The Mediterranean-inspired La Hoya Bay Business Village offers freehold office spaces with free-zone licences.-TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest
- Bahrain launches 6-point plan to fight terror
- Sisi gives sign he will run for president
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Qatari doctor gets 7 years jail in UAE
- Family violence law articles approved in Bahrain
- Credit card thief jailed in Bahrain
- GDN photographer hurt in Bahrain explosion
- Bahrain King orders crackdown on terrorists
- Bahrain's 4-year development plan on track
- Bahrain authorities warn of rogue labour camps
- Experts draw 'startling comparisons' in explosives
- Bahrain reforms 'far exceed recommendations'
- Kuwaiti Emir undergoes minor surgery