Egypt tycoon facing death gets retrial
Cairo, March 4, 2010
An Egyptian appeals court on Thursday ordered a retrial of property tycoon and politician Hesham Talaat Moustafa, who was sentenced to hang for paying a gunman $2 million to murder a Lebanese singer.
Moustafa, a member of Egypt's ruling party and former chairman of the Talaat Moustafa Group, was convicted in a lower court of paying Egyptian security man Muhsen el-Sukkari to kill Suzanne Tamim, 30, in Dubai.
The court 'accepts the request for retrial for both convicts,' judge Adel Abdel-Hamid told the court, prompting some present in the packed chamber to cheer and ululate.
The judge said the case of Moustafa and Sukkari would go to a criminal court for the retrial.
A statement issued after the ruling said the original verdict had 'mistakes in implementing the law' and said the original court failed to respond to several core requests of the defence.
Witnesses said those in the court included employees of the real estate company and members of Sukkari's family.
'Thank God that Egypt has fair judges and fair trials. We are going to Muhsen now. We are on our way,' Sukkari's father told reporters after the ruling.
Media reports labelled the attack an act of revenge after Tamim, killed in 2008, ended a relationship with Moustafa, 50, a member of parliament's upper house.
The original verdict, sentencing Moustafa and Sukkari to death last year, was greeted with shock in Egypt where members of the elite are generally regarded as being above the law and where reporting of the case had been restricted.
If this appeal had failed, Moustafa and Sukkari would have faced the gallows unless pardoned by Egypt's president.
Moustafa handed over the chairmanship of property firm Talaat Moustafa Group to his brother Tarek after he was charged, but the share price has moved on each twist and turn in the case, that has been watched closely across the Arab world.
The shares had risen as much as 4 percent after the ruling, but later pared gains to trade up 0.9 per cent by 1040 GMT. The benchmark index was up 0.5 per cent. – Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi 'must name and shame corrupt officials'
- Libya's ousted PM Zeidan on way to Europe
- Bahrain set for big eGovernment forum
- Ministries under fire for 'failing to implement projects'
- Bahrain finance minister to be quizzed over irregularities
- 2 policemen hurt in Eker blast
- Libyan parliament sacks PM after tanker escape
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up