Two Chinese Uighurs jailed for UAE bomb plot
Abu Dhabi, July 1, 2010
An Abu Dhabi court has jailed two Chinese Uighurs for 10 years for plotting to bomb a massive shopping centre in Dubai, an Emirati newspaper said on Thursday.
The men, arrested last year after a tip-off from the Chinese embassy, were convicted of plotting to blow up a statue outside Dubai's DragonMart, home to nearly 4,000 shops mainly selling Chinese-made goods, The National newspaper said.
The court heard that the men did not intend to cause casualties but the explosives they planned to use would have caused damage up to 80 metres from the blast site, the paper said. The verdict, issued by the State Security Court, cannot be appealed.
The pair, Mayma Ytiming Shalmo and Wimiyar Ging Kimili, were also convicted of being members of the East Turkestan Islamic Movement, the paper said, which China accuses of orchestrating attacks in its restive Xinjiang region.
They came to the attention of authorities after making a wire transfer of Dh50,000 ($13,620) to China and then moving the cash to Saudi Arabia, where they also travelled several times while planning the attack, the paper said.
The men said they travelled to Saudi Arabia, home to Islam's holiest site, for religious reasons. They will be deported to China after serving their sentences, the paper said.
Chinese embassy and consular officials were not immediately available to comment on Wednesday's verdict.
The Uighurs are a Turkic, mainly Muslim people centred in China's Xinjiang area who share linguistic and cultural bonds with Central Asia. Many chafe under Chinese rule and resent an influx of Han Chinese workers from eastern and central China.
Xinjiang has long been a tightly controlled hotbed of ethnic tension. Beijing often blames what it calls violent separatist groups in Xinjiang for attacks on police or other government targets, saying they work with al Qaeda or Central Asian militants to seek an independent state called East Turkestan.
Uighur exiles accuse China of whipping up the threat posed by armed separatists to justify harsh crackdowns in the region.-Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest
- Bahrain launches 6-point plan to fight terror
- Sisi gives sign he will run for president
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Qatari doctor gets 7 years jail in UAE
- Family violence law articles approved in Bahrain
- Credit card thief jailed in Bahrain
- GDN photographer hurt in Bahrain explosion
- Bahrain King orders crackdown on terrorists
- Bahrain's 4-year development plan on track
- Bahrain authorities warn of rogue labour camps
- Experts draw 'startling comparisons' in explosives
- Bahrain reforms 'far exceed recommendations'
- Kuwaiti Emir undergoes minor surgery