Bahrain to remove illegal cabins on beach
Manama, February 26, 2011
Portable cabins allegedly being used for sex, drugs and drinking on Bahrain’s Muharraq beaches are to be torn down without exception.
Muharraq Municipal Council members want them removed, saying they were erected illegally.
The Muharraq Municipality began work to clear the cabins two weeks ago, despite parliament second vice-chairman Shaikh Adel Al Ma'awada having the action temporarily postponed. The cabins are mostly located on newly-reclaimed private and government land in Busaiteen.
Council financial, administrative and legislative committee chairman and area councillor Mohammed Al Mutawa said despite genuine pleas from fishermen about their importance, all cabins would be removed because they were illegal.
"All the cabins have to be removed, including those owned by fishermen considering that the land is not their property and we will continue to remove them despite work being stopped for a few days after parliamentary action," he said.
"I know that there are some fishermen who should be allowed to keep their cabins after getting licences from the municipality years ago, but those licences are very old and have changed hands."
Al Mutawa said the only way cabins could be allowed was if proper regulations were drawn up by the council and bodies concerned.
"We have already met representatives from the Interior Ministry, the Muharraq Governorate and the Public Commission for the Protection of Marine Resources, Environment and Wildlife and they have agreed to help us draw them up," he said.
"They have also backed us in our moves to have all the cabins removed until then and that's what we are currently doing."
Council vice-chairman Ali Al Muqla earlier said some cabins were being used for immoral acts, including casual sex, drinking alcohol and using drugs.
He added while others had been set up by families for recreational purposes, these were also illegal. – TradeArabia News Service