Bahrain invites UN to probe abuse charge
Geneva, May 18, 2011
Bahrain has invited the United Nations to investigate allegations of human rights abuse during the military takeover of a hospital in March, the Acting Health Minister said.
Dr Fatima Al Balooshi said she proposed that the World Health Organisation form a team to independently investigate the incident at Salmaniya Medical Complex (SMC) during a conversation with its head, Dr Margaret Chan, on Sunday.
'I told her that verbally and now I will write to her formally and officially so she can send a group. We have nothing to hide,' Dr Al Balooshi said in Geneva.
A spokeswoman for the WHO confirmed an invitation had been received, but said there were no plans yet to send a team.
'Dr Chan advised her to also invite other groups including human rights, civil society, and professional associations to visit Bahrain and attest to the real situation,' her spokeswoman said.-TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- Deal dead if US passes new sanctions, warns Iran
- Bahrain calls to fast-track GCC union
- Bahrain to join GCC disaster aid body
- Bahrain to beef up security for National Day
- Bahrain unearths plot to bomb US Navy base
- Iran must stop meddling in GCC affairs, says Saudi
- Iran proposes new regional bloc
- GCC union 'best option to confront threats'
- Bahraini firms protest postal fee rise
- Obama defends Iran deal, seeks to assure Israel