Bahrain commission calls in global expert
Manama, September 8, 2011
An international expert will help the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry (BICI) analyse the situation of prisoners currently on hunger strike.
Dr Sondra Crosby specialises in the analysis of hunger strikes and will visit the 84 prisoners on hunger strike in Dry Docks prisons.
This is in addition to the 17 detainees who have been admitted to hospital due to health concerns.
They were sent to hospital by order of the Interior Ministry after they stopped eating nine days ago.
Dr Crosby will provide medical advice and discuss the challenges of taking part in a hunger strike with the detainees, said the BICI.
This move comes as a result of the commission's concern over the plight of the prisoners and detainees, it added.
The 84 prisoners are among those arrested and tried as part of the security crackdown on anti-government protesters.
The BICI is mandated to investigate and report on the events occurring in Bahrain in February and March as well as any subsequent consequences.
A deadline date of October 30 has been set for the BICI to present its findings to His Majesty King Hamad and will be made public in its entirety.
The panel has held appointments with those wishing to place complaints or raise human rights abuse issues since it opened its offices in Adliya.
The final slot for interviews is September 30, but the deadline to make appointments ends today (September 8). – TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- Iran, powers to resume nuclear talks after snag
- Nine officials held in Oman graft trials
- Bahrain 'ready for GCC union'
- GCC plans new law for domestic workers
- Bahrain plans big celebrations for National Day
- Abu Dhabi Ports institute hosts special courses
- Auditing push for small enterprises in Bahrain
- US, UK have failed Syrian rebels says Saudi prince
- Israel-Palestinian deal possible by April says Kerry
- Norton Rose boosts Mideast team