Egypt presidential vote in June
Cairo, February 19, 2012
Egypt's first presidential election since President Hosni Mubarak was overthrown last year will be held in the first week of June, an official at the judicial committtee supervising the vote said.
Army leaders who took over from Mubarak in February last year have faced street protests and widespread demands that they hand power to civilians sooner than the end-June deadline they had set themselves.
'Presidential elections begin in the first week of June and the president will be sworn in by the end of June,' committee member Ahmed Shams el-Din told Reuters.
'Any run-offs will take place within the month of June, and by July we will have an Egyptian president,' he said.
Similar reports about the timing were carried in state-run newspapers on Sunday. The judicial committee is due to hold a news conference later on Sunday to announce the official timetable.
Officials said this month that nominations for the race would be accepted from March 10, suggesting the generals may have accelerated their planned handover of power. Some politicians had pushed for a vote in May or earlier.
Under new rules approved in a referendum last year, presidents will be limited to two consecutive four-year terms.
Mubarak was ousted shortly before the end of his fifth six-year term. Most of his terms were secured via single-candidate referendums. In 2005 he ran in the nation's first multi-candidate race, but rights groups and others said the rules for that race blocked any realistic challenge to the incumbent. - Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest
- Bahrain launches 6-point plan to fight terror
- Sisi gives sign he will run for president
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Qatari doctor gets 7 years jail in UAE
- Family violence law articles approved in Bahrain