Bahrain in new unrest compensation move
Manama, March 5, 2012
Out-of-court settlements are being offered to people affected by last year's unrest in Bahrain. The initiative was approved by the Cabinet yesterday.
Under the scheme direct compensation will be paid to people who opt for cordial settlement, said a report in the Gulf Daily News, our sister newspaper.
The recipients will, however, be required to give up their right to seek civil compensation through the courts.
The move will benefit families of dead people as stipulated in the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry (BICI) report.
The out-of-court initiative will also include people who suffered injuries during the unrest.
Other cases will be approved after consultation between the mandated ministry and those involved.
Chaired by Deputy Premier Shaikh Mohammed bin Mubarak Al Khalifa at Gudaibiya Palace, the weekly Cabinet meeting approved the initiative.
A commission will be set up at the Justice Ministry to receive the demands of people who agree to opt for an out-of-court settlement.
Those who reject the out-of-court settlement offer will still have the right to seek compensation through civil courts.
The procedure followed a memo submitted by Justice, Islamic Affairs ad Endowment Minister Shaikh Khalid bin Ali Al Khalifa.
In another development, Cabinet members condemned calls inciting public disorder.
They slammed the misuse of religious platforms to instigate violence.
'Freedom of opinion is guaranteed in the constitution, but it must be exercised without breaking the law or disregarding the country's rules and regulations,' said a statement.
It vowed to deal with such violations and called on those involved to abide by the law. - TradeArabia News Service