Bahrain activist 'getting VIP care in hospital’
Manama, May 2, 2012
High-Profile prisoner Abdulhadi Al Khawaja, who has allegedly been on hunger strike for more than 80 days, is receiving "VIP treatment" in hospital, said a report.
Doctors said they were frustrated by reports he has been mistreated, according to a report by the BBC.
Staff at the BDF Hospital also denied allegations that the prisoner had been force-fed, it said.
BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner and producer Mark Georgiou were given access to Al Khawaja for five minutes yesterday.
According to the journalist, the prisoner - who was one of eight men jailed for life for being part of a plot to forcibly overthrow the monarchy and having links to a foreign terrorist organisation - was dressed in overalls and sitting on the edge of his bed, unrestrained.
Al Khawaja reportedly told him he had been walking for three days and the BBC reporter said he appeared thin, but alert.
Gardner also backed claims by doctors that the opposition figurehead had been drinking fluids and said staff told him the prisoner was drinking regular nutritional supplements.
On Monday, the Cassation Court ordered a retrial in the case against Mr Al Khawaja and 20 others convicted of being part of the plot.
It cast doubt on a verdict reached by the National Safety Court last year and means the case will now be heard in a civilian court.
Our sister publication the Gulf Daily News reported last Friday that the prisoner had been receiving fluids intravenously throughout his hunger strike, according to well-placed sources. – TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest