Kidnapped envoy seeks Saudi King's help
Dubai, May 27, 2012
A Saudi Arabian diplomat kidnapped by Al Qaeda militants in Yemen urged the Saudi king to meet his captors' demand for the release of women prisoners, in a video message posted on the Internet.
'I plead the custodian of the two mosques (Saudi King Abdullah) to bring me back to my family, to my children and wife,' said Abdallah al-Khalidi, the Saudi deputy consul in the Yemeni port city of Aden, who was abducted in March.
'I plead King Abdullah ... to save me and release me from al Qaeda in return for the release of the imprisoned sisters,' the diplomat said in the video posted on an Internet forum used by al Qaeda members on Saturday.
Khalidi, who wore traditional white robes and a red head-dress, did not specify who the women were or whether they were linked to al Qaeda, but said they were held by Saudi security services.
There was nothing in the video to indicate when it was recorded and its authenticity could not be verified.
Last month a militant who claimed responsibility for the kidnapping threatened to kill Khalidi unless a ransom was paid and al Qaeda prisoners were freed from Saudi jails.
The US and its Gulf allies have watched with mounting alarm as Al Qaeda, emboldened by political instability in Yemen, has waged war on the country's government.
Al Qaeda-linked bombers killed more than 90 soldiers rehearsing for National Day celebrations on Monday and at least 12 people at a school and protest march on Friday.-Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Ministries under fire for 'failing to implement projects'
- Bahrain finance minister to be quizzed over irregularities
- 2 policemen hurt in Eker blast
- Libyan parliament sacks PM after tanker escape
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’