Egypt bans pre-trial jail of journalists
Cairo , August 24, 2012
Egypt's President Mohamed Mursi has used the legislative powers he wrested back from the army this month to pass a law banning the pre-trial detention of journalists, a move that may deflect criticism of his handling of the media.
The announcement by the newly elected Islamist president came hours after a court ordered the pre-trial detention of Islam Afifi, the editor-in-chief of the Al-Dostour opposition newspaper, on charges of insulting the president.
Egypt's media crackdown has alarmed the US, which has for years secured the loyalty of one of the Arab world's most influential states by giving it substantial financial aid, now running at about $1.55 billion a year.
"We did express concerns quite strongly that one of the cornerstones of a vibrant democracy is a free press and respect for freedom of expression and called on Egypt to ensure that it is protecting those freedoms moving forward," Victoria Nuland, a spokeswoman for the State Department, told a news briefing on Thursday.
The new law comes a day before planned protests against Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood, which backed his presidential bid. The Al-Dostour newspaper has been very supportive of the protests.
"Mursi's decision does not cancel the fierce attacks on the media that were led by Brotherhood members and its timing is only a last minute attempt to cancel Friday's demonstrations that journalists and novelists will participate in," political analyst Mustapha Al-Sayyid said.
On August 12, Mursi dismissed the top generals who had led a military council that had ruled Egypt after the fall of Hosni Mubarak last year.
He also cancelled a decree which the army had issued giving itself legislative powers in the absence of parliament, thereby granting himself both executive and legislative powers. Opponents have accused him of concentrating too much power in his own hands.
Last week, state prosecutors filed charges against two journalists, including Afifi, who a court ordered detained on Thursday, pending his trial over accusations that he insulted Mursi. Judge Mohamed Shahin told the court the case would be adjourned to September 16.
Speaking by telephone to Reuters after that ruling but before Mursi's new legislation was passed, Afifi described the detention order as a "real test" and asked "every apparatus of state to stand against attempts to suppress and silence voices".
In what critics saw as an act to muzzle the press, a large number of copies of Al-Dostour were confiscated this month, though some still made it to the newsstands.
Although activists generally praised Mursi's decision saying it went some way to satisfying the expectations of many Egyptians who believed last year's overthrow of Mubarak would lead to greater media freedom, many said it was not enough.
Seven editors were put on trial during Mubarak's last years in power accused of publishing factually incorrect information or questioning the health of the now 84-year-old former leader. One of them, Ibrahim Eissa, got a two-month jail sentence but was pardoned by a presidential decree issued by Mubarak.
"We welcome the decision but it is not all we ask for, we want a law that bans any form of detention in crimes related to the press and not only a bar on journalists' detentions pending trials," human rights activist Gamal Eid said.
Legal and media experts said that Egyptian law prior to Mursi's decree on Thursday authorised the pre-trial arrest of journalists in cases where they were accused of insulting the president, state institutions or the leaders of foreign states. - Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi 'must name and shame corrupt officials'
- Libya's ousted PM Zeidan on way to Europe
- Bahrain set for big eGovernment forum
- Ministries under fire for 'failing to implement projects'
- Bahrain finance minister to be quizzed over irregularities
- 2 policemen hurt in Eker blast
- Libyan parliament sacks PM after tanker escape
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up