Dubai passenger held for diamond smuggling
Johannesburg, November 17, 2012
South African police have arrested a 25-year-old man for attempting to smuggle 220 diamonds out of the country by carrying it in his digestive tract through Johannesburg's main airport.
The Lebanese national bound for Dubai had swallowed $2.25 million worth of polished diamonds before he was stopped before a security checkpoint at Africa's biggest airport and then relieved of his concealed cargo, police said.
"We used laxatives to remove the diamonds," police spokesman Paul Ramaloko said on Thursday.
The man will appear in court on Thursday. In March, police arrested another Lebanese national who was attempting to smuggle $1.69 million worth of diamonds out of South Africa.-Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Iran, powers to resume nuclear talks after snag
- Nine officials held in Oman graft trials
- Bahrain 'ready for GCC union'
- GCC plans new law for domestic workers
- Bahrain plans big celebrations for National Day
- Abu Dhabi Ports institute hosts special courses
- Auditing push for small enterprises in Bahrain
- US, UK have failed Syrian rebels says Saudi prince
- Israel-Palestinian deal possible by April says Kerry
- Norton Rose boosts Mideast team