Bahrain telcos told to block online terror forums
Manama, August 14, 2013
Telecom companies in Bahrain have been urged to block websites and online forums that promote and fund terrorism by the Minister of State for Communications.
Shaikh Fawaz bin Mohammed Al Khalifa met top Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA), Batelco, VIVA, Zain and Menatelecom officials, reported the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.
A special team, comprising representatives from the ministry and telecom firms, has been set up to monitor websites and social media networks 24 hours a day.
Shaikh Fawaz directed the TRA to take legal action against companies which fail to follow the new regulations.
He also called on communication companies to take action against text messages sent from abroad that promote violence.
The ministry has been tasked with overseeing a multi-agency effort to halt social media abuse and access to websites that encourage acts of terrorism.
It follows recommendations issued by Bahrain's National Assembly during an extraordinary session last month to implement stronger anti-terrorism measures.
A hotline (80008885) and an e-mail account (email@example.com) have already been set up to receive complaints about the abuse of social media to incite violence and encourage terrorism.- TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- GCC to introduce EU-style visa in 2014
- GCC to set up 100,000-strong security force
- Iran, powers to resume nuclear talks after snag
- Nine officials held in Oman graft trials
- Bahrain 'ready for GCC union'
- GCC plans new law for domestic workers
- Bahrain plans big celebrations for National Day
- Abu Dhabi Ports institute hosts special courses
- Auditing push for small enterprises in Bahrain
- US, UK have failed Syrian rebels says Saudi prince