Tuesday 16 September 2014
 
»
 
»
Story

Bahrain summer work ban cuts site injuries

Manama, September 1, 2013

Bahrain's summer work ban, supported by 97 per cent of firms, has significantly reduced site injuries, a report said.

The restrictions on outdoor work between midday and 4pm in July and August ended yesterday, added the report in the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.

Labour Minister Jameel Humaidan said the decision, implemented for the seventh consecutive year, has proved successful with statistics showing 97.9 per cent of companies abided by it this year.

This reflects employers' high commitment and sense of responsibility towards their workers, which helped reduce the number of worksite accidents and injuries at the height of summer heat and humidity, and fulfil the humanitarian and legal objectives of the decision, he said.

Implementation of the ban this year has not been limited to construction but included all economic sectors, he added. The ministry's inspectors have carried out 19,019 site visits and found that only 401 establishments violated the ban, while 1,002 workers had been fined, Humaidan said.

Through a number of projects and initiatives, the ministry aims to improve work conditions to increase productivity, he said, adding Bahrain is pressing ahead with developing legislation to ensure health and safety of workers.

A team of 30 inspectors in charge of overseeing the implementation of the ban carried out surprise visits to worksites on a daily basis. Anyone violating the ban faces up to a three-month jail sentence or a fine of not less than BD500 ($1,325) and not exceeding BD1,000, or both. – TradeArabia News Service




Tags: Bahrain | Labour Ministry | summer work ban |

More Government & Laws Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads