Image: Courtesy The National
Suicide bomb threat: Dubai office evacuated
Dubai, September 1, 2013
The Dubai Prosecutions building has been evacuated after an apparent suicide bomb threat, according to a report in The National newspaper website.
A woman visitor, believed to be either Chechen or Syrian in her 30s, threatened to detonate an explosive belt, the report said quoting prosecution sources.
They said the woman entered the building shortly after 1 pm accompanied by a child, thought to be aged 6, and stood next to the reception desk.
Sources said the woman was known to prosecutors and had previously visited the building on numerous occasions. Her husband is thought to be a Syrian in custody.
It is believed that the woman is demanding to talk to a high ranking official, the report said.
Police, Civil Defence, ambulance, and rescue personnel have cordoned off the area around the building in Bur Dubai close to the floating bridge and bystanders are being moved away.
At around 3.50 pm, officers escorted a female lawyer into the building to speak to the woman, the report said.
More Government & Laws Stories
- Iran, powers to resume nuclear talks after snag
- Nine officials held in Oman graft trials
- Bahrain 'ready for GCC union'
- GCC plans new law for domestic workers
- Bahrain plans big celebrations for National Day
- Abu Dhabi Ports institute hosts special courses
- Auditing push for small enterprises in Bahrain
- US, UK have failed Syrian rebels says Saudi prince
- Israel-Palestinian deal possible by April says Kerry
- Norton Rose boosts Mideast team