Suspects held in Qatar after UK teacher's body found
Doha, October 17, 2013
Qatar has arrested suspects over the murder of a European woman, the Interior Ministry said on Wednesday, after a British school teacher was found dead in the Gulf state.
British media said a 24-year-old woman identified as Lauren Patterson, a primary teacher at a British school in Qatar, went missing last Saturday, when she was seen with two men at a nightclub in the capital Doha.
"The police has arrested the suspects of a European woman's murder," the Interior Ministry said in a statement in English on its website.
"The case has been referred to Public Prosecution to complete further judicial procedures applicable in this regard," it added without giving any further details.
Hundreds of thousands of foreign nationals, including many Westerners, live and work in gas-rich Qatar, one of the wealthiest countries in the world.-Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Bahrain inks key sports deal
- US commitment to ME security proven: Hagel
- GCC 'should have been consulted on Iran deal'
- Jordan elected to take Saudi UN Council seat
- Yemen regains ministry compound, 12 militants killed
- Postal rates rise 300pc in Bahrain
- Qatar denies Syria 'contact'
- Iran to take part in security forum
- GCC security bolstered by Royal grant
- Egypt to pay $1.5bn arrears to foreign oil firms