Policeman 'knew about bomb attack plan'
Manama, February 6, 2014
A policeman arrested in connection with an explosion that injured four of his colleagues has admitted to knowing about the attack days before it happened.
However, the Bahraini denied taking part in the terror blast, which happened in Sehla on August 29 last year, said a report in the Gulf Daily News (GDN), our sister publication.
The 32-year-old along with four others were remanded in custody for 45 days yesterday pending investigations.
All five men have been accused of attempted murder and detonating and possessing explosive devices.
Prosecutors said two gas cylinders, which were connected to wires and a mobile phone, were placed inside a booby-trapped car.
They added that the blast was remotely detonated, which damaged the stolen Peugeot and a nearby minibus.
The 32-year-old officer claimed he received news about plans for the attack from his friend.
"I got a message on WhatsApp from one of my friends, who told me that they had prepared to carry out an explosion through a booby-trapped car," he said in his statement to prosecutors.
"He told me that he got a car from a person named 'unit one', who told him to use the car in the 'operation'.
"He also asked me to give him information about the vehicle's registration.
"I received another call from him saying he was going to carry out the 'operation' in 10 minutes.
"I later heard that Al Ashtar Brigades claimed responsibility for the attack on the policemen."
The policeman's friend, 22, confessed to remotely detonating one of the devices.
"I put the two cylinders in the car, which were connected to wires and a mobile phone, which were handed to me by a man called 'unit one," he told prosecutors.
"I drove the vehicle to Sehla near the entrance of the village and left it there.
"I climbed on top of a nearby car shade and detonated the explosive device.
"I then tried to run away, but I fell to the ground and fainted.
"When I woke up, I was at the BDF Hospital, surrounded by policemen."
The Public Prosecution also questioned the owner of the stolen Peugeot, a Bahraini man, who identified one of the suspects from a police line-up.
He claimed the suspect had helped him fix a flat tyre before he carjacked him.
Radical group Al Ashtar Brigades earlier claimed responsibility for several terrorist attacks, including a car explosion at Shaikh Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa Mosque in Riffa on June 17 last year and an explosion in Bani Jamra on May 28 last year in which seven policemen were injured. - TradeArabia News Service