Sunday 28 December 2014
 
»
 
»
Story

Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain

Manama, March 6, 2014

Police have released the names and photographs of four key suspects arrested in connection with a bomb attack that killed three policemen in Daih.

They include three members of the same family - Abas Jameel Taher Mohammed Al Samea, 25, Ali Jameel Taher Mohammed Al Samea, 24, and Taher Yousif Ahmed Mohammed Al Samea, 22, said a report in the Gulf Daily News (GDN), our sister publication.

The fourth suspect, Sami Mirza Mushaima, 40, was arrested yesterday, bringing the total number of people detained to 26.

Public Security Chief Major-General Tariq Al Hassan said some of the masterminds had been on the run after being convicted of terror-related crimes and given five-year sentences.

He also revealed one of suspects arrested was a policeman who worked at Bahrain International Airport.

"After gathering a lot of evidence, four people were identified as the prime suspects - three were arrested hours after the incident and one was arrested yesterday," said Maj-Gen Al Hassan at a press conference at the Interior Ministry's Officers Club, Gudaibiya.

"The four have been linked to the manufacture of bombs and photographs of the bombs have been found on them among other evidence."

Police believe all four suspects received terror training in Iran.

Video footage of the events leading up to Monday's bomb attack was shown during the press conference.

It claimed the lives of Muhammad Arslan Ramzan, 22, Tariq Al Shehhi, 41, and Ammar Abdu Ali Al Dhalei, 35, who died when rioters remotely detonated an improvised explosive device (IED).

It happened at around 5pm as police came under attack following a funeral procession in Daih.

It was the biggest death toll suffered by security forces in a single attack since anti-government radicals began a campaign of violence following the unrest in 2011.

"Of those that were going to the funeral procession very few made it to the cemetery, most of them disbanded and blocked roads," said Maj-Gen Al Hassan.

"Police confronted them to unblock roads.

"As police approached to open roads a blast happened near a lamppost which resulted in the deaths.

"The bomb was left there before police arrived and detonated remotely - they were trapped."

Maj-Gen Al Hassan explained that since the explosion, movement in Sanabis and the surrounding areas has been restricted as a safety precaution.

"Due to dangers and the potential presence of other IEDs in the area, movement has been restricted," he said. - TradeArabia News Service




Tags: Bahrain | Terror | Suspect |

More Government & Laws Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads