Bahrain dialogue parties to discuss vision
Manama, March 24, 2014
Groups participating in the new-look National Dialogue are being contacted by the Royal Court to discuss their visions for the future of Bahrain, it was revealed yesterday.
Minister of State for Information Affairs and official government spokeswoman Sameera Rajab told a Press conference that the Royal Court had reviewed submissions from all parties involved.
The National Assembly (Shura Council and parliament), opposition groups headed by Al Wefaq National Islamic Society and the Sunni-dominated Coalition of National Political Associations, headed by the National Unity Assembly (NUA), all submitted political demands and suggestions that could shape the country's development.
They were asked to present their ideas on five key topics - the authority of the legislative, judicial and executive branches of Bahrain's government, electoral constituencies and national security.
"Dialogue is undergoing its normal process and the Royal Court has started connecting with all participants after completing its assessment of their visions," Rajab said after yesterday's Cabinet session.
The National Dialogue was suspended on January 8 after the Sunni contingent pulled out.
However, the five opposition groups had been boycotting the process since September after the detention of former MP and key opposition figure Khalil Al Marzooq.
However, the process was revived in January after His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, Crown Prince, Deputy Supreme Commander and First Deputy Premier, convinced both groups to engage in a new-look process. - TradeArabia News Service