Tuesday 2 September 2014
 
»
 
»
Story

Dispute with other GCC states over: Qatar

Kuwait, April 23, 2014

Qatar's dispute with three fellow Gulf states, which withdrew their envoys from Doha last month, is "over", according to the Qatari foreign minister.

Khaled Al-Attiyah's statement follows a meeting last week in Riyadh attended by GCC foreign ministers. They announced an end to unprecedented tensions between Qatar and Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain.

"The statement issued in Riyadh on April 17 was clear ... For the brothers in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) the dispute is over," Al-Attiyah was quoted by AFP as saying at a press conference in Kuwait after a meeting with his Kuwaiti counterpart Sheikh Sabah Khaled Al-Sabah.

Al-Attiyah's statement was the first Qatari comment on the meeting held in Saudi Arabia.

However, he insisted his country had made no concessions, the AFP report in The Daily Star Lebanon said.

The three countries recalled their ambassadors from Doha after accusing Qatar of meddling in their internal affairs and supporting the banned Muslim Brotherhood.

"Brothers in the GCC states arrived at understandings which are not considered to be concessions by any party," the Qatari minister said.

Al-Attiyah said it is now "left for the brothers in the GCC states to send their ambassadors back" to Doha.




Tags: Qatar | Kuwait | GCC | dispute |

More Government & Laws Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads