Sunday 28 December 2014
 
»
 
»
Story

Bahrain jails bomb blast six for 25 years

Manama, May 12, 2014

Six Bahrainis who planted explosives that killed a civilian have been sentenced to life in jail, a report said.

They have been convicted of premeditated and attempted murder, planting an explosive device, rioting, taking part in an illegal gathering, possessing firebombs and an explosive device, reported the Gulf daily News, our sister publication.

All were sentenced to 25 years behind bars, but one who appeared in court for the verdict yesterday challenged judges and shouted: "Is that all you have? It is nothing."

The defendant had to be escorted out of the High Criminal Court by police after he ignored requests to calm down.

Three others in custody refused to attend the hearing, while two men still at large were sentenced in absentia.

The defendants will also have to pay initial compensation of BD5,001 ($13,180), but judges agreed a civil claim could be filed for a higher amount.

Their victim Ahmed Salim Al Dhufairi, 18, was fatally injured when an explosive device placed between burning tyres went off on April 16, 2012.

The 18-year-old was trying to move burning tyres out of the road when it exploded near Roundabout 19, Hamad Town.

He was initially treated at the BDF Hospital and Salmaniya Medical Complex, but was then transferred to a Jordanian hospital where he later died.

His friend, aged in his 20s, who was with him in the car was also injured in the blast - which was filmed by the defendants.

"Four of the defendants in custody admitted to committing the crime and said they planned to kill policemen," stated the court verdict.

"They described how they prepared the explosive device, which they placed between tyres. They then placed a gallon of petrol between the tyres and hurled Molotov cocktails at it.

"They knew that the explosive device could kill any passers-by, but they did not care and placed it on a highway. The defendants then walked away without any remorse and filmed their crime. The court found all the defendants guilty due to evidence presented by prosecutors."

Al Dhufairi's friend earlier told judges that he tried to save the teenager's life as he was "burning alive".

Police were initially called to Roundabout 19 after reports that debris had been placed on the highway, but thought it might be a trap and stayed back at Roundabout 18.

A minor, who was just 14 at the time, is being tried separately in the Juvenile Court for his alleged role in Al Dhufairi's death. – TradeArabia News Service




Tags: Bahrain | Jail | bomb blast | Explosives |

More Government & Laws Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads