Al Jazeera to broadcast Guantanamo film
Doha, January 11, 2012
A hard-hitting documentary about the last remaining Westerner in Guantanamo Bay, Omar Khadr, will get its first global airing on Al Jazeera English next week.
The channel made the announcement today on the 10th anniversary of the prison’s establishment.
“Four Days in Guantanamo” is based on CCTV footage of Canadian agents interrogating their citizen Khadr, who has been imprisoned since July 2002 when he was just 15 years old. The film features interviews with US military personnel, the Canadian journalist who pushed for the release of the footage, as well as Khadr’s family and legal counsel.
The film airs on January 18, almost three years to the day of President Obama’s promise to shut Guantanamo within a year, a statement said.
Paul Eedle, director of programmes at Al Jazeera English, said: “This is a very strong film that we are pleased to bring to our viewers. The raw, split-screen CCTV material together with supporting interviews makes for a disturbing insight into way intelligence agents from a Western democracy behaved in Guantanamo.” - TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released
- Alwaleed makes it to Bloomberg’s billionaires index
- Bold&Beautiful stars to race Abu Dhabi triathlon
- Paragon releases new Arabic dictionary apps