Boeing wins UAE antenna system contract
Washington, March 27, 2012
US aerospace giant Boeing Company has clinched a firm-fixed-price contract from UAE-based Al Yah Satellite Company (Yahsat) to design and build active electronically-steered phased array antenna systems for aircraft.
Based in Abu Dhabi and wholly owned by Mubadala, Yahsat is the first company in the Middle East and Africa to offer multipurpose satellite services.
The antennas are being designed in Kent, Washington, and will be produced at the Boeing Strategic Manufacturing Center in El Paso, Texas, said the company in a statement without disclosing the contact value.
Aircraft operators will gain significant benefits from the low-profile, low-drag and easy-to-maintain antenna system.
Built upon heritage Ku-band systems that are operational for over a decade, Boeing’s latest Ka-band phased array system uses electronically-controlled beams to transmit and receive signals from Ka-band satellites in a single, small, aerodynamic design.
The small, hitech Ka-band phased-array Satcom antenna system allows customers to take advantage of the significant increase in bandwidth offered by next-generation Ka-band satellites to transport data from aircraft in flight to the ground network, and vice versa.
Boeing developed these communications antenna technologies to improve the capability of platforms to remain networked while mobile, it added.
“Boeing’s unique phased array antenna system enables greater bandwidth capabilities for network communications while in flight,” said Terry Collins, vice president and general manager, Boeing Electronic & Mission Systems.
'We’re both proud and excited to produce these next-generation antenna systems, and we remain focused on completing the development and delivery of these systems for Yahsat,” he stated.
YahService general manager Rashed Al Ghafri said, “This agreement with Boeing is further evidence of Yahsat’s commitment to forming strategic partnerships with the industry’s leading organizations, allowing us to provide turnkey solutions for secure, reliable, cost-effective satellite communications solutions.”
“Boeing’s Ka-band phased-array Satcom antenna system is the perfect partner for our Ka-band enabled satellites, which means that we will now be able to service our customers with state-of-the-art antennas for installation on aircraft platforms,” Al Ghafri added.
Yahsat provides multipurpose satellite solutions (government and commercial) for broadband, broadcast, military and communications use across the Middle East, Africa and Southwest Asia.-TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- National Geographic announces Cosmos launch
- Red Stallion Interactive sets up Bahrain, Qatar offices
- New MD for Media Group International
- Al Aan TV picks Harris for HD service
- Ogilvy & Mather takes majority stake in Memac Ogilvy
- UAE to host first stage of IPL cricket
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- LIVE exhibits HD technologies at Cabsat
- Twitter crashes again, software glitch blamed
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections