Etihad, Ireland sports club ink 5-year deal
Abu Dhabi, April 12, 2012
Etihad Airways has signed a multi-million dollar deal with Ireland’s Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA), which includes sponsoring GAA’s Hurling All Ireland Senior Championship for the next five years.
Etihad Airways, the national airline of the UAE, will also become the naming rights sponsor of the new Skyline landmark tourist attraction at Croke Park, which will open in June.
The 14-storey high Etihad Airways Skyline at Croke Park involves a roof top tour of the stadium and includes spectacular views of Dublin from five different viewing platforms atop three stands, as well as a pitch-viewing cabin.
The partnership is a demonstration of Etihad Airways’ commitment to Ireland since launching flights to Dublin in July, 2007 and becoming a key sponsor of the Championship eight months later, a statement said.
James Hogan, Etihad Airways president and chief executive officer, said: “I am delighted that we are strengthening our relationship with the GAA and extending a partnership that has worked so well for both organisations.”
“Hurling is one of the world’s most remarkable sports and it epitomises the passion of the Irish people who have also been great supporters of Etihad Airways. This strategic partnership is an example of the way we try to embed ourselves into the local culture of our destination markets and work with the local community.”
Christy Cooney, president of the GAA, said: “We are delighted to confirm Etihad Airways’ extension to their sponsorship of our GAA Hurling Championship and look forward to working in partnership with them for at least five more years.”
“In their time as partners with the GAA, Etihad Airways has brought a fresh approach to the promotion of the unique game that is hurling and their success in involving our clubs and supporters in their innovative and imaginative community initiatives has been outstanding.
“Equally, taking the M Donnelly Inter-provincial final in 2009 to Abu Dhabi helped us to showcase the game to a wider audience,” he noted.
“Etihad Airways’ support of our new Skyline facility is a further acknowledgement of their commitment to Gaelic games and in this instance to Croke Park in particular and we look forward to many more years in fruitful partnership with this leading international brand,” Cooney added.
Etihad Airways’ marketing activity in the first year of its sponsorship of the Championship was awarded the European Sponsorship of the Year in the Business to Consumer category by the European Sponsorship Association (ESA). – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Arab heroes shine at Abu Dhabi Triathlon
- Memac Ogilvy wins big at Dubai Lynx Awards
- Bahrain set to host first bridal and fashion expo
- NAS CEO El Houry chosen Young Global Leader
- Branson to address top UAE executives at du forum
- Rare Qatari artefacts on display in Doha
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SES signs capacity deal with Libyan group
- Primedia appoints new general manager in UAE
- National Geographic announces Cosmos launch
- Red Stallion Interactive sets up Bahrain, Qatar offices
- New MD for Media Group International
- Al Aan TV picks Harris for HD service
- Ogilvy & Mather takes majority stake in Memac Ogilvy
- UAE to host first stage of IPL cricket
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- LIVE exhibits HD technologies at Cabsat
- Twitter crashes again, software glitch blamed
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs