Etisalat showcases Augmented Reality technology
Dubai, October 15, 2012
Etisalat Group, the telecommunications corporation with operations in 15 markets, today showcased its Augmented Reality technology at Gitex Technology Week 2012 in Dubai.
The new Augmented Reality platform, part of the digital services that Etisalat is showcasing at Gitex, enhances the view of real life by overlaying computer-generated content, whether video, 3D models, or interactive and dynamic web content, and it can be triggered by an image, a location or a combination of the two.
Ahmad Abdulkarim Julfar, chief executive officer of Etisalat Group, participating at a roundtable discussion on Digital Transformation at ITU Telecom World 2012, said: “The rapid development of new technologies such as mobile phone cameras, more powerful computing processors, touch screens, GPS devices and more, are driving the development of the digital applications, including Augmented Reality.
“There are an increasing number of these applications available on tablets and smartphones, and they have enabled us to make use of all of our senses, including the sense of touch and hearing. For example, imagine a virtual friend who is always near to give information and data around the clock.”
“In addition to Augmented Reality applications that are currently available in education, commerce and gaming, we see a promising future in digital advertising, medicine, engineering and other future sciences,” he said.
Julfar also added that the investment in digital services, and specifically in Augmented Reality in the field of education, can be used in many different sectors, such as recreating and reproducing the illustrated history of the UAE, highlighting the importance of heritage in a way never before seen.
“Governments need to encourage investment in ICT as technology will be involved in every aspect of our daily life, including health, e-commerce, cloud computing, video services and M2M, and will contribute to economic growth and social development,” he said. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Majid Al Futtaim plans cinema expansion
- Dubai Culture launches Instagram contest
- Dubai arts consultancy wins major hotel deal
- Du campaign sweeps Dubai Lynx Awards
- Arab heroes shine at Abu Dhabi Triathlon
- Memac Ogilvy wins big at Dubai Lynx Awards
- Bahrain set to host first bridal and fashion expo
- NAS CEO El Houry chosen Young Global Leader
- Branson to address top UAE executives at du forum
- Rare Qatari artefacts on display in Doha
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SES signs capacity deal with Libyan group
- Primedia appoints new general manager in UAE
- National Geographic announces Cosmos launch
- Red Stallion Interactive sets up Bahrain, Qatar offices
- New MD for Media Group International
- Al Aan TV picks Harris for HD service
- Ogilvy & Mather takes majority stake in Memac Ogilvy
- UAE to host first stage of IPL cricket
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- LIVE exhibits HD technologies at Cabsat
- Twitter crashes again, software glitch blamed
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends