Top artist to make Abu Dhabi visit
Abu Dhabi, November 3, 2012
Renowned performance artist Marina Abramovic is set to arrive in Abu Dhabi this month to participate in an interview alongside more than 20 other panels with artists, gallerists and academics.
Abramovic will take part in Abu Dhabi Art which is set to take place from November 7 to 10.
“I am fascinated by the Middle East and will travel with much anticipation about experiencing the art world convening in such a different context. I’m currently discussing a ‘surprise’ performance with the Abu Dhabi Art organisers to take place while I am there so am interested to see how audiences in the UAE interact with it,” she said.
The Abu Dhabi Art Conversation is open to the general public, and will be moderated by Dr Valerie Hillings, associate curator, Abu Dhabi Project, of the Solomon R Guggenheim Foundation.
“Marina Abramovic is one of the greatest pioneers of the use of performance as a visual art form and a visionary voice in contemporary art. She not only challenges herself but also demands that viewers remain open to the profound emotional responses her work elicits,” Hillings said.
Abu Dhabi Art will be held at the UAE Pavilion and Manarat Al Saadiyat exhibition space in the Saadiyat Cultural District, the growing cultural hub of the region. Situated on Saadiyat Island, the venue already hosts a growing number of visitors to its exhibitions and is future home of Louvre Abu Dhabi, Zayed National Museum and Guggenheim Abu Dhabi.
The fourth edition presents museum-quality work from modern and contemporary art galleries from around the world including US, Europe, India, Asia and the Middle East. It is a meeting place for artists, galleries, collectors and visitors from all around the world.
Abramovic’s work will be exhibited by Lisson Gallery at Abu Dhabi Art which can be found in the UAE Pavilion (Booth P 15).
Claus Robenhagen, associate director, Lisson Gallery, said: “We are proud to introduce Marina Abramovic to Abu Dhabi. A central theme in her work is the act of storytelling - a quality of the work we are sure will resonate with the rich and varied culture of the Middle East.” – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- National Geographic announces Cosmos launch
- Red Stallion Interactive sets up Bahrain, Qatar offices
- New MD for Media Group International
- Al Aan TV picks Harris for HD service
- Ogilvy & Mather takes majority stake in Memac Ogilvy
- UAE to host first stage of IPL cricket
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- LIVE exhibits HD technologies at Cabsat
- Twitter crashes again, software glitch blamed
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections